A Brief History of the Modern Triumph Car Club
The Triumph Car Club of Western Australia (Inc.) originally formed in 1930 when a small group of owners gathered for social and competition events. The Second World War affected Club activities and it wasn’t until 1979 that the Club was reformed when a few guys met at a local Perth pub in response to a newspaper advert put in by Nigel Makin. After a beer or two, they decided to meet regularly and reform the Triumph Car Club of WA – for all Triumph and Standard cars, as the existing TSOA only admitted TR’s at that time.
A decision was made to advertise for members and before long Triumph owners came out of the suburbs in response and the Club was born.
Most of the very early Club members are still members after 20 years. These include Nigel Makin #1, Andrew Foreman #3, Ellen Wells #5 and Barrie Nelson #6.
Participation in various local car shows continues to lift the Club’s profile in the community. Today, membership ebbs and flows between 80 and 100.
Membership is open to past, current and future owners of any Triumph or Standard car. Most members naturally live in metropolitan Perth, but country, interstate and international members are welcome.
General meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each calendar month at the Light Car Club clubrooms in Moojebing Street, Ashfield, Perth Plan arriving at 7.30pm for an 8.00pm start. Refreshments are available.
The current list of elected Executive Committee members is tabled on the “Contact Us” page.